First, allow me a brief moment of self-congratulation and reflection.
We’ve been eating vegan (with the exception of clearing out a few remaining animal-containing condiments) for about two months now, and it’s been astonishingly easier than expected. There’s been a bit of a learning curve in figuring out how to work with new ingredients and how to add flavor without leaning on meat and butter, but overall, it’s been pretty great. I think we’ve been eating with just as much flavor as ever before and much more variety. Honestly, I don’t think we’ll ever be going back.
So anyway, last week’s food plans were mostly determined by Easter and my CSA box, both of which require foods that celebrate the season. Here’s what we had:
- Barley and mushroom soup: Okay, fine, this one wasn’t really seasonal. But it WAS great, and I had to use up the mushrooms.
- Sichuan-style bok choy with crispy tofu: Best thing I’ve made in a while, I think. The tofu had an amazing texture – crispy outside, creamy inside. Really, really good.
- Southern-style collard greens with cornbread and white bean fritters: I made this while I was up at my sister’s place for Easter. It went over really well. The fritters were a little bland, but the collards were fantastic (thanks mostly to the excessive use of liquid smoke).
- Roasted turnips and potatoes with sauteed turnip greens: Kind of a light meal, but tasty enough. The turnip greens and potatoes were good, but I roasted the turnips for too long, so they turned out overly water-y and cabbage-y.
- Seitan wraps with onion jam and turnip slaw: HOLY FUCK these were good. I mean, pardon my enthusiasm, but really good. Slices of crunchy seitan-chickpea filets with rich onion jam and crispy/creamy turnip slaw? Yeah, man. It was good.
- Road food (and by “road food” I mean “about three sleeves each of oreos and nutter butters”): What can I say? Road trips give me the munchies, and when I have the munchies, I am not a healthy person.
Plans for Next Week
Well, we’ve still got a whole bunch of spring onions to get through, not to mention the rest of the radishes and two small heads of bok choy, so we’ll see what happens with those. I’m sure we’ll get more of the same in our next CSA box, too. I’m kind of hoping for a boatload of salad greens as well, since I’ve been absolutely craving the stuff lately. As far as other food plans go, I’m also craving a big batch of chocolate chip cookies, so there will be that, too.