Last week was rather challenging, food-wise. I had my wisdom teeth extracted, so that left me with mush for days and days. Fortunately, it turns out that there is a lot you can do with mush.
- Apple sauce and protein shakes: My diet over the weekend. Tragic, really.
- Chocolate pudding: It was fine. A little weak, but sweet and smooth. Next time I’ll use more cocoa or melt down some chocolate chips to give it a little more oomph.
- United States flag cake for preschool: I used an old-school Depression cake recipe for the chocolate cake, which was awesome. Then I made a buttercream with Earth Balance, and it tasted pretty chemical-y and weird, which was less awesome. Fortunately, I was able to cover it with a fuckload of berries, and four-year-olds don’t have much of a palate anyway, so it worked out.
- Peanut butter tofu ice cream: Ehhh. 2/10, would not make again. Flavor was okay as long as it didn’t get melty, but the texture was god-awful – hard, chunky, icy. My biggest ice cream failure to date.
- Zucchini noodles with garlic bread and tofu sauce: Surprisingly good, even though I had to discard the delicious crunchy edges of my garlic bread. The tofu was a nice meaty addition to the sauce.
- Lentil sloppy joes: Good! I can see these becoming a staple. Very satisfying comfort food.
- Cauliflower, potato, and chickpea curry: Super delicious! Would’ve been better with naan, but extremely tasty. It was really, really nice to get some textural variety for the first time all week.
- My first time trying to eat vegan while out-and-about: We stopped at Moe’s, and I was delighted to discover that they have decent vegan options. My tofu burrito bowl was excellent.
- A lot of mushy Cinnamon Toast Crunch soaked in almond milk: 10/10, don’t judge.
Plan for Next Week
Next week I’m looking forward to a little more texture. I’m for sure making frito pie and a lentil shepherd’s pie, too. We’ve got a couple busy nights, too, so I’m planning on a basic tofu scramble (mushrooms, maybe?) one of those nights and grilled not-cheese the other night. Time to give those Field Roast Chao slices a shot, I think, since their sausages are so damned tasty. Other than that, though, who knows? We’ll see.